Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Hey NCAA, LIGHTEN UP!!

Over the past week or so, information has surfaced that UK Basketball player Darius Miller is in violation of NCAA rules. It is comical to me that a kid is possibly going to be punished over actions that he wasn't even a part of. A picture of Darius was used on pamphlets to advertise for a basketball camp at a Kentucky High School. NCAA rules state that a player's likeness can't be used to promote any venture where there stands to be money made. First of all, Darius wasn't getting paid so how does this cause any harm or give Darius an upper hand. I have a huge problem with some of the NCAA rules. Here are a few of the big problems that I believe the NCAA needs to look at.

First, I believe that all NCAA athletes deserve a monthly allowance of approximately $300.00 from the institution they are a part of. Yes, I know they are receiving a paid education. This paid education is not actually costing the school any more money than if they were not there. Here is my theory. For the most part, NCAA athletes do not have time for jobs. Their job is to practice daily, study, and represent the school. I can say from experience there just is not enough time in the day to throw in a job. How fair is it that these athletes can't earn enough money to do their laundry, go out to eat, or even have a date.

Another NCAA rule that I have a problem with is that a coach can't even by his player something to eat. This is ludicrous! In many cases, when parents send their children off to school they want their child to be looked after. Many players look at their coaches as a parent figure. I believe the NCAA is sending the wrong message. I am not saying the coach should be able to give the athlete money to go by a burger or steak, but I do believe the coach should be able to have the athlete over to their house or be able to take them out to eat.

I understand there are rules in place to keep a level playing field, but I just think some of the rules are just plain ridiculous!

2 comments:

  1. Amen, on the allowence issue I thank the NCAA needs to give these student athletes an allowence I don't know how much would be the right amount but at least something. Not only would it make their experiance alot more enjoyable but also might keep some of these high profile athletes from accepting the hand outs from some of the vulture agents that are hovering over the college campuses. Posted by Brian 6/26/09

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a parent of a former student athelete who received both athletic and academic scholarships, I wholeheartedly agree that some NCAA rules are unfair, maybe even leaning toward discriminating. For one thing (if I'm not mistaken), there is no rule prohibiting a student who has an academic scholarship from receiving gifts, i.e. dinners, favors, cash, or even a car, from a professor or some other person who cares about that student. As was stated by the blogger, a student athelete has no time to work a part-time job while practicing, working out and studying to keep up his/her grades. It's impossible! Maybe a few student athelets have parents who are able to furnish them with enough money for the student's needs and a little extra for relaxation (when the student has time), but I'm willing to bet those parents are few and far between. Why does the NCAA want to punish the student athelete when he/she is just trying to get an education too? What's wrong with a small allowance? After all, the school and NCAA are making money off these student atheletes' performances.
    THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKING TO IT. Posted by a parent who has experienced the hardships a student athelete faces 6/26/09.

    ReplyDelete